History and Beliefs
A church is more than a building: it is part of the invisible Church in a particular place. Still, congregations of Christians have always needed a place to gather. The story of Mount Calvary’s physical church buildings shows God has been at work at 53rd and Locust and the story of this congregation is the story of God’s faithfulness.
The founders of Mount Calvary first worshipped in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Rades. In 1925 they built a large flat on 53rd Street; the first floor was a parsonage for Pastor Ewald Plass (Mount Calvary’s first Pastor) and his family with the second floor serving as a Christian Day School during the week and church sanctuary on Sunday.
The school ministry thrived and in 1927 the cornerstone was laid for the school building that is part of the current north wing. At the same time, worship attendance was growing so in 1931 the church basement was built adjacent to the school building. In 1937, as the nation was in the throws of the Great Depression, a fund raising campaign was begun to build a sanctuary. In 1941 the corner stone was laid and in 1942, as the United States was in the darkest days of World War II, the current sanctuary was dedicated. That original sanctuary, including the stained glass windows, was built at a cost of $60,000.
School Ministry has been integral to Mount Calvary’s mission from the beginning. The original building (North wing) had a second floor added in 1947 and “state of the art” South wing, including four classrooms, offices, and a gymnasium, was dedicated in 1958. A new generation of children is now being served by an addition to the South that was dedicated in 2008.
For nearly 90 years Mount Calvary Lutheran Church and School has been bringing Christ’s hope to the City of Milwaukee. God is faithful!
|Sunday Bible Class||10:15 AM|
|Sunday School||10:15 AM|
|Elders' Meeting||6:45 PM|
|Mission & Ministry Council Meets||6:30 PM|